Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Growing up

My first blog. After being at the Eichelberg residence hearing how much Marlene enjoys everyone's blogs, I decided that this would be a good thing to keep in touch with family.

Tonight we were husking our corn (oh, it couldn't come close to Dwight's corn!) and Kimber and I were discussing how I was so anxious to grow up. We would be together. Never to have to miss each other of feel lonely. We grew up. We got married and I began to miss the home of my childhood. We had kids thinking the Lord would certainly come before they went to academy. He didn't. They grew up. In 1 year we will face the dreaded "empty nest".

Sabbath afternoon at 3:30 there occurred a scene so vividly still in my mind. We left Chelsea at a stranger's home in a strange city to attend a college where she is 1 of about 40,000. As we drove out of the long driveway in the country with only one other house in sight, she waved and waved until we could no longer see her anymore. We knew she was crying as were we. Kimber stopped the car before meeting the main road and said, "Should we go back?" And again before we reached highway 23, he said, "Oh, man, how can we keep going and leave her there?"

I don't like growing up anymore!

No comments: